Some or all of these may apply to you:
- Are you easily overwhelmed?
- Do you have mood swings?
- Do you have low energy?
- Are you comfort eating?
- Do you have cravings?
- Do you feel stressed?
- Do you have difficulty switching your brain off?
- Do you constantly worry?
- Are your muscles tense and find it hard to relax?
- Do you have low self-esteem/self-worth?
- Do you have poor concentration and memory?
- Do you struggle with getting to sleep and staying asleep?
- Do you have a lack of motivation?
You can start with nutrition
It’s easy for me to say, ‘Eat better or eat these foods’ but for someone with a mental health disorder such as anxiety and depression, this is like climbing Mount Everest – impossible! All other factors need to be looked at such as loneliness and social support. Nutrition isn’t going to ‘fix’ mental illness but it definitely helps to manage it and keep it under control.
What you eat each day plays a large part in how you cope with everyday life but you may need further help. For example:
- You may not be able to absorb your food sufficiently resulting in nutrient deficiencies. These nutrient deficiencies may be affecting your brain chemical production.
- You may have cravings for carbohydrates and/or sweet food.
- You may have increased inflammation or your cells may not be functioning properly.
- Your gut health will need extra help to increase more of those good bacteria.
- You may have been experiencing stress for a long period of time which depletes some nutrients.
- You may have a hormonal imbalance.
- You may have an underlying biochemical imbalance or undiagnosed health condition.
My job is to be the detective and to treat you as a whole person, not just look at your symptoms. We start with what you’re eating. I know you’re thinking ‘There’s no way I can change what I eat!’. There is a way. With a plan, guidance and support from me all the way, it IS possible.
If you would like to know which foods help with mental health, go to my blog: https://www.wholefoodnutrition.com.au/let-me-show-you-how-to-use-food-to-feed-your-brain/
If you would like to find out how Sal can help you, either book https://www.wholefoodnutrition.com.au/you-can-book-me or email at [email protected]
Subscribe to my Newsletter and Receive my Free 'A-Z of Mental Well-being' PDF
When you subscribe, you will also be rewarded with insights on what I'm up to in Whole Food Nutrition, blogs, information, tips, recipes and anything else related to health and well-being.